Dates and topics are as follows:
1. November 14 What is This Stage of Life? Introductions and basic format
2. November 28 Who Am I at This Stage of Life?
3. December 12 The River of Life
4. January 9 I Am My Body; I Am Not My Body
5. January 23 Cultivating Nourishing Relationships
6. February 6 Cultivating Nourishing Relationships
7. February 27 Forgiveness and Reconciliation
8. March 6 Cultivating Spiritual Qualities for Well-Being (Mussar)
9. March 20 Cultivating Spiritual Qualities for Well-Being (Mussar)
10. April 17 or 24 Living with Loss and Finding Light
11. May 1 or 8 Conscious Dying
12. May 15 Legacy and StewardshipWe ask that participants make every effort to attend every session. Enrollment fee is $180 for Shir Tikvah members, $216 for non-members. (As always, no one will be turned away because of inability to pay; and those who can be more are requested to do so.)
We will use Wise Aging: Living with Joy, Resilience, & Spirit, by Rabbi Rachel Cowan and Dr. Linda Thal as our guidebook. Grounded in mindfulness and spiritual practices such as meditation, journaling, movement, and blessings from Judaism and other faith traditions, Wise Aging offers social, emotional and spiritual insights to help individuals meet the challenges of these years with a sustaining spirit. Participants are asked to acquire a copy of the book before we start.
As facilitator, I see my job as creating a sacred space for the deep holy work of reflecting on our lives, work that enables participants to come to new understandings about your lives, your selves, and your values. Learning modalities include text study based on active listening exercises, reflection, journaling, and meditation. Some of the reflection time will be during class, and some will be between sessions. I want to be clear without scaring anyone away: This is NOT a traditional “class” where you can leave your feelings behind and simply “learn”.
Here are links to a bit more information about the program:
In the press: http://forward.com/articles/176737/aging-wisely-together/
From the creators: http://www.jewishspirituality.org/our-programs/resources-for-your-community/wise-aging/
From Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Wise-Aging-Rabbi-Rachel-Cowan/dp/0874419212